Sunday 15 February 2015

Operation cosy, homely room!

I’ve been feeling a tad down in the dumps today, boo-hoo, living away from home is tough at times, so I have decided to give my room a winter (???) clean and organise all the home items I have bought as of late. I am definitely of the ‘tidy room, tidy mind’ mindset and I find when my room is organised and tidy, it makes me feel so much more positive and motivated.



my wooden chest of drawers (+ my lovely valentines flowers!)
It’s difficult living in a rented house, there are a myriad of changes I’d love to make to my spacious, bare room, but I'm not quite sure my landlord would appreciate me pulling up the hideous carpets and painting the bare walls! Thus, I’ve compromised (I say this like I had a choice, ha) and made the most of the features I do have in my room. There are plenty of features in my room that I do love, my vintage looking chest of drawers and my huge wardrobes, painted duck egg blue and white, to name a couple. My room has a real ‘shabby chic’ potential and slowly but surely I am building towards my perfect bedroom. I have based my room mainly around the colours: white, duck egg blue and a touch of pink. The white gives a really simple yet elegant feel whilst the blue is calming (perfect for my anxiety!) .........and well, my room would just not be complete without a bit of pink!


my huge blue and white built in wardrobes





















BEDDING
I recently bought a bedding set which I have had my eye on for a good while now! In fact, my sister has wanted it for a while too! It's from Morrison's of all places and was around £14 for a double duvet set, I believe. It ties in with my duck egg blue wardrobes and I just love the Cath Kidston vibe, so pretty and girly.


FAIRY LIGHTS
I am of the belief that fairy lights make everything cosy and homely, they really transform a room. And you don’t have to shell out a huge amount on them either! Bog standard battery operated lights will do, I got mine for a ridiculously cheap price HERE on Amazon and I really love the way they gently glow, perfect for cosy nights in with a glass of wine in hand and some good TV, gosh I sound old.

LAMPS
On a similar note to fairy lights, lamps also transform a room. This one caught my eye for a mere £18 in Wilkinsons, in the shape of a birdcage with a glass bird perched on top. It’s a real statement piece and is a perfect mix of classy, pretty and vintage.





Another of my Wilkinsons purchases was this wooden lettering, adding to the bird theme I seem to have accidentally adopted.

all ya need is


PERSONALISED TOUCHES
Photo frames with pictures of loved ones inevitably add a personal touch to any room and this week I finally got round to printing out all those instagram selfies with my friends and family. Actual photographs have such power and presence, it’s so rare for me to actually hold a photograph these days, so these are pretty special to me. I went for a mixture of frame designs, mainly wooden to add to the vintage, shabby chic look and to match the wooden drawers; effortless yet effective. I also have two small canvases in my room which are in black and white of my friend Hollie and I, they were a gift for my 21st birthday, I love these!


CANDLES

I am a sucker for candles, Yankee, plain tea lights, cute candle holders, anything. I am a huge fan of Christmas scented candles in the winter, the cinnamon Yankee candle is my all time favourite, I have various different candles dotted all around my room. I also own fake flame candles which were also from Wilkinsons which can be popped on with a switch on the bottom and glow just like a real candle, perfect for the forgetful candle lover such as myself!


Thanks for reading! What colour scheme is your bedroom? Where do you get inspiration from? I'd love to hear any tips!

Katherine x

No comments:

Post a Comment